Friday, January 28, 2011

99 problems but looking old ain't one

My wife and I were discussing the other day that this year I'll be 50 and she'll be 40. She commented that I looked like I'm in my late 30's. She then asked me how old she looks. "You definitely could pass for late 30's too", I answered. She wasn't amused. I then stated that since we both look like we're in our late 30's, that means we're the perfect looking couple. She still didn't find me charming.

Back in the day when I first started working out, I did very little cardio. It was all about lifting weights. In a 3 hour workout, I'd do maybe 20-30 minutes of cardio. I wasn't a muscle-head though. I wasn't one of those guys who would do lift massive amounts of weight, grunt and scream, then throw the weight down and run to the closest mirror to flex.

As I got older, I started doing more cardio to the point where it was almost 50% of my workout. 5 years ago I bought a bicycle. Ottawa has numerous and well maintained bike paths throughout the city, so I took advantage of them from the Spring to the Fall and would do 2-5 hour excursions around the city. I would also ride to the gym and back home as part of my cardio exercise for that day. Not only was I staying trim and fit, but I got to explore the city, discovering some of the more interesting tucked away sceneries and parkettes that I would never have known about.

Last year I started doing the RPM (Raw Power in Motion) spin class. It's 50 minutes of intense indoor stationary cycling, consisting of sprints, mixed terrain and hill climb stages. The first time I tacked it, it kicked my azzz! I decided to start my workout with this programme, then lift weights for another hour to an hour and a half. I did this 2-3 times a week, unless I rode my bike to the gym, or did a 20 minute run on the treadmill, followed by 10 minutes on the rowing machine for a bit of variety.

Somehow I ended up hurting my shoulder, so I couldn't lift any weights at all for months while I did physiotherapy. My physiotherapist felt that I had probably injured my shoulder over time by lifting too much weight, combined with bad technique. Then he said something to me which was like a punch in the gut: "as you get older, you can't lift as heavy and it's easier to get injured if your technique is bad..." The "as you get older" part of that discussion was what got to me. I wasn't getting older... I mean I was but I don't feel it... well I do sometimes... most times... my God I am getting older!

Once I started lifting again, I did less weight, more reps, focusing more on my technique. Last December, I started a mixed aerobic, weight-lifting class called BodyPump. It's an hour long intense workout which strengthens and tones your whole body. The first time I tacked it, it kicked my azzz! I now do the RPM class followed right after by the BodyPump class, 3-4 times a week.

I remember when I was much younger, I would make fun of the guys doing the aerobic classes. Now that I'm one of them... I feel great, have more stamina, look younger than my age... and make fun of those guys lifting all that weight...

3 comments:

  1. Last night while working with my boss, he asked me a couple questions pertaining to the job I had just done. "Did we get the letter from so and so?" me: Uh, I don't remember, let me look through the stack again.
    Him 5 min later: "Did we get something from the other so and so?" me: I'm sorry, I can't remember anything! Old age!"

    Him: "Did you hear what I said?" me: uh, no repeat it again?"
    Him: "Hearing goes next!" me: Oh! Yep! Eyesight goes first!" Both of us chuckling about the ravages of old age.

    At least I don't look like I feel sometimes, Asa!

    Welcome to the 50s club! The club where bones creak and crack, eyes grow dim, hearing goes dimmer, varicose veins start popping up! (I noticed one on my hubby, and don't have to heart to tell him! Heh heh!)
    Muscle start complying, aches and pains pop up, (my own foot just starting hurting for no reason I can fathom), etc. etc. etc.

    One the flip side, one grows in grace, knowledge, and especially wisdom! The opinions of man become less and less important, and a freedom comes over our spirits. We become more ourselves and enjoy our gifts and our lives because we are more appreciative!
    The 50s club is a cool place! You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear yah! My eyes are getting dimmer each day, driving at night is now becoming more of a chore, my hearing is messed up... even my 3 year old is telling me the tv is too loud and to turn it down and I can't remember what I did or who I spoke to yesterday...lol!!!

    "The opinions of man become less and less important, and a freedom comes over our spirits."

    This is too true. Other than for the purpose of an intellectual exercise, I am more interested in what someone is actually doing than their opinion. When I was designing this blog, I seriously considered disabling the "comments" feature. However, I am a social creature so I do enjoy engaging with others from other parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But more importantly, you don't look like you feel, you look YOUNG!! Ha Ha!

    Well I'm glad you didn't disable the comments, otherwise it'd be a less interesting blog. I've been at a blog without comments and it's frustrating not being able to agree or disagree with the blog owner! ;)

    ReplyDelete